Sunday 1 May 2011

Aussie Slang

I returned safely from my Spring Break road trip, which was absolutely awesome, but now I have to face the load of work that comes with the last month of school. So until I have finished the paper I am currently working on, and have time to write a decent blog about the trip, I'll leave you with a taste of some Aussie slang/Aussie words. Some of these I have heard only once or twice, and some only in the country, and others everyday! Enjoy!

sunnies - sunglasses
bathers - swim suit
runners - sneakers
stubby - beer
stubby holder - beer cozy
jug - pitcher of beer
stuff up - mess up
chook - chicken
capsicum - pepper
bottle-o - liquor store
ute - their weird idea of a truck, which looks like a car and truck smooshed together
uni - university
singlet - tank top
thongs - flip flops
arvo - afternoon
avo - avocado
bogan - scrub
roo - kangaroo
roo bar - bar on the front of the car for when you hit roos
budgie smuggler - speedo
cooee - a way of calling to people in the bush
damper - a kind of bread
dunny - pit toilet
esky - cooler
rego - license plate number
tinny - small metal boat
lolly - any kind of candy
road house - these awesome places along the highway in the bush with food, pies, gas, places to camp/caravan/sleep, and other facilities
station - cattle or sheep ranches
flat white - a way of having your coffee
tim tams - chocolate biscuits (for you English folk, they're just like Penguin Bars)
tim tam slam - when you bite off each end of your tim tam and suck hot beverages through the tim tam like a straw so it gets all gooey and melty

There are other words like 'hoover' and such that I didn't include because they're just like England.

Other words that are really commonly used here and not in the US are 'keen' and 'heaps'. For example: "I'm keen to go to the beach today," and "The vegetables at dinner are heaps better than the vegetables last night."

Hopefully I'll have pictures from the trip up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment